A chronicle of Alison and Ron's trip around the world in 2009-2010.


"Not all those who wander are lost"
- Tolkien

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

REI Wonderland

I don’t like to shop. I am not very trendy, not a fashionista, nor a big consumer. I know those in my former life at Macy’s are wincing at this blasphemous statement. Yes, I said it. My dirty little secret is exposed.

But at least every week these days I wake up, pray silently towards the north and scramble excitedly to the the mecca that is my neighborhood REI. The one exception where I buy things almost uncontrollably. I can spend hours looking at all the millions of handy items that would make my camping, backpacking, and hiking trips more bearable if not luxurious. I even linger on things that I could never use, often talking myself into buying something cool that I may need “someday” and it ends up collecting dust in the garage. Never mind that REI has been a slight addiction, it remains a veritable wonderland for the adventurer or those that dream of being adventurous.

And thanks to my former colleagues extremely thoughtful gift cards for my departure, I got totally set-up this week for our final purchases. Two large shoulder bags, long sleeve shirts, water filter, and travel towel. If you’re reading along, thanks again! and I miss you!

0 comments:


There have been visitors to this blog and you are one of them. Thanks and have a beautiful day!