A chronicle of Alison and Ron's trip around the world in 2009-2010.


"Not all those who wander are lost"
- Tolkien

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Green-Eyed Monster

Now that most everyone in my life knows I’m going, an interesting phenomenon is occurring. And this time I’m glad to be on the other side of it.

I remember clearly when a few years back my friend JC announced he was quitting his job to travel the world. I smiled and nodded as he talked about his plans, inside alternating between screaming at the top of my lungs and just blanking out because it was too much to hear about what I secretly dreamed of doing but didn’t have the guts to do.

Now I see this same look in the eyes of some people who are wishing me well on my journey. They sort of loathe me. They don’t want to admit it but they do.

This is only a few people mind you. Not everyone really wants to do this. Some can say “Oh how wonderful! I’m so jealous!” but the reality of really doing it would never be seriously considered. Why? Because it’s tough. It’s not for everybody. It’s complicated and messy and involves a series of unknown mishaps. Believe me, I like the consistency and stability of a life with boundaries you can see clearly and the rules are well understood. But not for every single year of, what I hope to be, a long and fruitful life.

So to those who want to go. GO! I’m proof you can actually just get up one overcast Sunday and decide to do it. You can overcome any challenge or obligation if you get persistent and creative.

Money is easy, live below your means for a couple years, anyone can do that. Do you really need another <fill-in-the-blank>? Chances are, probably not.

For those of you with children, who think it can’t be done, this blog puts that excuse to rest: 360 Degrees Longitude

So start planning your escape already!

1 comments:

Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

hear, hear! couldn't have said it any better myself :)


There have been visitors to this blog and you are one of them. Thanks and have a beautiful day!