A chronicle of Alison and Ron's trip around the world in 2009-2010.


"Not all those who wander are lost"
- Tolkien

Friday, January 16, 2009

RTW Ticket


Round the world in 365 days. Woohoo!


But now to deal with the transportation factor...


I've gone back and forth on the purchase of a classic round-the-world ticket or just buying one-way tickets as we go. I looked extensively at a hybrid option: booking the major air legs on a RTW ticket with some regional flights thrown in for spice. The major alliances and consolidators I considered were Star Alliance, One World, and Airtreks and the price was about 5-6k/piece for our general itinerary.

But after all that analysis I went to one of my favorite travel sites kayak.com and painstakingly priced each one way ticket and found out we could do it for several hundred dollars cheaper booking as we go. Aaaaand, the best part, we can change our itinerary whenever we want. Meet someone new going someplace we haven't heard of? No problem! One of my favorite memories of backpacking in Europe was hoping on a train and ending up somewhere I didn't expect I would go when I planned the trip at home. With a year long trip we would be foolish to think we can know what and where we will want to go, in sequential order, ahead of time.

0 comments:


There have been visitors to this blog and you are one of them. Thanks and have a beautiful day!