A chronicle of Alison and Ron's trip around the world in 2009-2010.


"Not all those who wander are lost"
- Tolkien

Monday, February 2, 2009

Salomey

I've been sponsoring a girl in Ghana for about 6 years and I'm going to visit her on the trip! It is really exciting to get to meet her. I don't know where her village is just yet, I'm still awaiting my interview to be approved, and I understand I have to go there chaperoned for only one day. I had some fantasies about staying with her in her village, walking her to school, making buddies with the elders and all that, but I guess that's not to be. I'm sure it will still be an amazing experience.

About two years ago, she had written me that she wanted to be a seamstress so I went to Britex in downtown San Francisco and got her some fabric and buttons, zippers and thread, and needles. I just thought it would be nice for her to get practice sewing but I had been writing her for years and never really thought I made a tangible difference. Many months later I received an email from a Marketing Director from Plan USA that was going through Salome's village and video taped a segment with her (video below).



Well I just about cried watching it, as she talked about me, and read my letters, I was very real to her and now she was just as real to me. Blown away is more the feeling I had, looking at her in the dress made from the materials I sent her. I don't know if she made it herself, but she beamed in it nonetheless.

2 comments:

luckyhound May 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

We where so inspired by her/your story that after we wiped our tears we decided to sponser a child! we have talked about it a number of times but never took action. after going to the link you have on your blog to Plan USA
it was a no brainer! It's easy to navigate and right to the point.
we decided to sponser who ever was next in line instead of chosing a child. We where matched with a little 8yr old girl from Sudan named Rabat Ahmad. we don't know alot about her yet but she sure is cute! in a few more days we will get more information about her and her family.
See! you folks haven't even left the states yet and your making the world a better place.
Love Rocky & Suzette

Alison June 2, 2009 at 5:15 AM  

That is SO fantastic! I'm so happy it inspired you to sponsor a girl. You will make such a difference in her life :) and yours as well.


There have been visitors to this blog and you are one of them. Thanks and have a beautiful day!